Monday, July 14, 2008

Another Layer of Organic Love.








I have had this spool of natural organic cotton thread for months now, sitting somewhat inconspicuously amongst my other threads (can you spot it?) For one reason or another, I just never got around to trying it out. I'm not sure if it was the cost, or the lack of colour options (only natural, black and white are available at this time), or the reconfiguring I knew I would have to do with my machine to make it work the way "regular" thread does. Last night I decided to give it a try, and after a little experimenting I am happy to report that that it sews up beautifully.

Sure, it is not as slick or shiny as its polyester or "regular" cotton counterparts (slick and shiny are over-rated anyhow). What is does have is a natural, understated look with a nice weighty feel about it that I am loving already. And best of all it is made in the US from certified organic cotton and developed in compliance with the new Global Organic Textile Standards.

I do need to do a little more experimenting, but I would say that with perhaps very minor exception, I should be able to integrate this thread into the vast majority of my work.
POSTNOTE: After much, MUCH more experimenting, I have come to the conclusion that this thread WORKS GREAT when cotton thread is called for (with non-stretch stitches on mostly woven fabrics), but does NOT WORK so well with the majority of knits and stretch stitches I use - it is simply too heavy. I am not giving up on this thread, though and absolutely love it in the applications that have worked, and will use it with wovens in the future as I expand!