Tuesday, November 24, 2015

a recipe

I have been feeling very "nesty" lately, is that a word? I have had some major life events unfold over the past year or so and whenever faced with big life changes I want nothing more than to stay rooted to my home and look after my little family. That means I've been doing a lot of cooking and baking which I would say has been therapeutic for me. In any case, I thought I'd share one of my recipes that I  came up with this morning. I'm not sure it even qualifies as a recipe, it is kind of something thrown together. It is very simple and adaptable to different ingredients / tastes. In any case, I hope you enjoy it!


Chocolate-Covered Granola Clusters


Ingredients
1 cup of dry mix made up of equal parts of the following: sunflower seeds, hemp hearts, toasted oats, gluten-free cereal o's, raisins, and dried cranberries.
1/2 cup of Camino organic / fair trade chocolate chips (1/2 dark, 1/2 semi-sweet)


Directions
1. Toss dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. In a double boiler (or in a heavy bowl nestled on top of a pot of simmering water), melt chocolate chips. Mix in cinnamon, vanilla extract and sea salt.
3. Once melted, stir in the dry ingredients, remove from heat and spread out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pop in the freezer for about 20 minutes, then scrape cooled mixture off of parchment and crumble into a bowl.
4. Store at room temperature in a sealed container to retain freshness, if they last that long!

Makes close to 2 cups of mix.