Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cosmetic Pesticides - Let's ban 'em!


Some days I feel a little more "eco-geek" than "eco-chic", but I think the times they are a changing! Today I just read something in our local paper that got me all revved up. A St. John's teacher has started an advocacy and lobby group for the ban of cosmetic pesticides in Newfoundland and Labrador, saying it's not just the environment that's at stake - it's the children. This is an issue I feel quite strongly about, and have in fact written our provincial government on, but of course with most issues strength comes in numbers. I am so glad that someone is spearheading this issue. The teacher, Jennifer Scurlock is collecting e-mail addresses, and is hoping to hold a meeting of all those interested in the near future. If any other residents of our fair province would like to join Scurlock's lobby group, you can do so by e-mailing her at nl_ban_group@yahoo.ca. Pass it on! I am going to go e-mail her right now! Woo hoo, Jennifer!
If you live elsewhere in Canada and want to take action in your province - Ontario and Quebec are already leading the way - click on the following link: http://www.davidsuzuki.org/NatureChallenge/GardenContest/Take_Action.asp