Friday, November 14, 2008

Papa's Harvest


Here is proud Papa (Grand-papa, that is) with little M. preparing some of his apple harvest for the winter. Don't those apples look delicious! He grows these apples in his back yard along with pears, cherries and of course his vegetable garden. When I was growing up we lived for a couple of years on a farm "across the bay" (in Gillams to be exact) where along with being a principal of a high school, he managed to run a small farm. We left there when I was 4 to come back into town but he always kept his farmland, and he uses it to this day to grow and sell Christmas trees locally (despite my mother's best efforts to slow him down). Did I mention that he just celebrated his 75th birthday in September? It is nice to see that my little ones will get to witness this part of his life and to learn what it is to have an appreciation and respect of the land (and what it can offer us if we properly tend it).