Thursday, May 27, 2010

A design in progress and a recipe (revised)

I was going through some fabric odds and ends today and came across a little soft toy design that I had started working on a few months ago, tucked away in one of my drawers. I have my materials assembled and the templates drawn out and ready to try. Hopefully in a week or two I will be able to show you my little creation!

Since I am unable to show you my new project, I thought I'd share one of my tried and true cookie recipes with you that my daughter and I baked up today!



This is actually a variation on this recipe, but I have fine-tuned it to our family's tastes. It is one that we make often.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients

1/2 cup of butter 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar 1 tablespoon water
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla 1 egg

1 cup of all-purpose flour 3/4 whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 cup of
chocolate chips 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, water, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Combine the flours, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Blend in the oats and chocolate chips. A handful of nuts would be quite tasty mixed in as well. If you want to be really good you could substitute the chocolate chips for cranberries. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.

3. Bake for 13 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges begin to brown. Remove from baking sheet to cool on wire racks for about 10 minutes. This recipe yields about 3 dozen cookies.






These would make a yummy addition to the lunch box, don't you think?